Saturday, January 01, 2005

Week 2 - Water saving: My attempt

I remember receiving some information from Islington Council about water butts for the garden. There's a company that works in partnership with the council to provide cut price containers for residents. Call 0800 316 4454 to see if there are any arrangements in your area.

The butts provided by the council are rather ugly, large green plastic things and would take up a great deal of room in my little garden.

Looking around the internet I found some helpful sites. The BBC site says "you can collect and store rainwater in any watertight receptacle as it falls." I have now found a perfect use for the zinc rubbish bin that has been sitting in the back garden since I moved here several years ago. All I need to do is put some wire mesh on the top, to stop debris, fit a tap into the bottom of the bin (a trip to the DIY shop again) and put the bin on a raised base so that I can place my watering can under the tap.

Easy-peasy.

If i'm being really clever I can also buy a rainwater diverter and attach my water butt to one of the gutters.

For anyone who doesn't have a spare bin in their back garden click here for places you can buy water butts.

Click here for further information.


No comments: